Tuesday 20 January 2015

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Mary Kay Make Over.. 

It isn’t always fair to judge somebody just by what they look like before you even take the time to get to know who they really are. In De Beaumont’s “Beauty and the Beast”, Beauty initially judges Beast by his overall appearance, before even giving him a chance to let her know who he truly is behind his outward appearance. It takes the whole entire story to develop for Beauty to get to know who the Beast is inside and out, accept it, and ultimately love it. In “Beauty and the Beast” there is a strong lesson that nobody deserves to be judged until you’ve gotten the chance to know who they are in their entirety.

First off, the Beast is very critical of himself and his appearance which Beauty finds out as soon as she arrives at the castle. Initially, she was just afraid of him and taken aback by his appearance. This was shown with a conversation between Beauty and the Beast when it was said, ” ‘Beauty,’ said the monster, ‘will you let me watch you dine?’ ‘You are my master,’ said Beauty, trembling. ‘No, you are the only mistress here,’ replied Beast. ‘If I bother you, order me to go, and I will leave at once. Tell me, don’t you find me very ugly?’ ‘Yes, i do.’ said Beauty. ‘I don’t know how to lie. But I do think that you are very kind’ ” (De Beaumont 38). Beauty continually tried to cover up her truthful, but harsh remarks towards Beast by calling him kind. Regardless of that though, she continually rejects his marriage proposal which breaks Beast down bit by bit.

It appears that Beauty is afraid to marry Beast because it took her a while to realize who he was, beneath everything else that scared her. Although she constantly referred to him as kind, that wasn’t enough for her to convince herself. Beauty had to mature and with that maturity grew a love for who Beast really was. An example of this was when it was said, “Each day Beauty discovered new good qualities in the monster. Once she began seeing him every day, she became accustomed to his ugliness, and, far from fearing his arrival, she often looked at her watch to see if it was nine o’clock yet. Beast never failed to appear at the hour” (De Beaumont 39). It was clear that Beauty was growing very fond of the Beast. However, she hadn’t reached a stage yet where she was able to love him for who he was completely, accepting his outer appearance, which was why she continually refused to marry him.

In the end the story had a very good message about inner beauty. Beauty ended up falling in love with the Beast after time for who he was and realized that she wanted to accept his marriage proposal because of how much she loved him. This epiphany was the major turning point towards the story and was shown when it was said, ” ‘No, my dear Beast, you will not die,’ said Beauty. ‘You will live and become my husband. From this moment on, I give you my hand in marriage, and I swear that I belong only to you. Alas, I thought that I felt only friendship for you, but the grief I am feeling makes me realize that I can’t live without you’ ” (De Beaumont 41). Due to Beauty accepting who the Beast was inside and out, and finally accepting his marriage proposal, she unlocked the curse he had been enduring. This brought out the real Prince, who was in the end attractive on the inside and the outside. All the points to the story led to the moral that “Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder” and everybody deserves a chance to show their true colors regardless of what they look like on the outside.

----------------------------------------







No comments:

Post a Comment